I love a bit of bling, not so much to wear, but to look at, and in Auckland a couple of months ago I was introduced to this fabulous fabric and glitz store. Hundreds of rolls of fabric stood on the shop floor, some absolutely gorgeous, but the amazing effect was produced by the walls, covered entirely with beaded embellishments. I obviously have no idea what they should be called so the best I can do is say "Look at the photos."
I'm so far behind in my reading of favourite blogs that I have about a thousand posts to read. I think this will have to be my early morning activity for a while and now that the weather is improving I think I can manage to get up about 5.30 and get reading. Today I visited Notes from the Voodoo Cafe, where Ricë Freeman-Zachery just about always puts life into perspective for me. Ricë is a straight talker, absolutely true to herself, and today I really enjoyed her post I Want to be Your Flying Pig. If you haven't come across her, dip in. I personally believe that pigs are very superior animals and could fly; they just can't be bothered.
It's a while since I've seen a blog award but Louise of The Fig Tree has very kindly awarded me this Beautiful Blogger Award. Thank you so much Louise, I'm not sure I deserve it but I do appreciate the thought. The regulations state the recipient of the beautiful blogger award must: *Add a link and a note of thanks to the person giving the award, *Pass the award onto the most beautiful blogs you love *Share 7 things about yourself.
Seven things about myself, presumably that I haven't already told you.
1. I once had 3 pet rats.
2. I once had a pet scorpion. As scorpions live under a rock or dark place and only rush out to grab the live food you've given them - well, I found I wasn't really up watching that happen so I gave the scorpion to my niece.
3. I have been foster mother to baby flying foxes (Grey-headed Flying Fox), carrying the baby in my shirt for warmth and feeding bat formula from a tiny bottle. This is a bat with huge personality and there is nothing spooky or scary about them.
4. I collect Hippeastrums. And lots of other lilies.
5. I love photographing reflections. This is at Picton wharves, Marlborough, NZ
6. I love dogs.
7. I'm a current affairs junkie but Australia's hung parliament is wearing a bit thin with me. And with most Australians I imagine.
As a book binder trained in Sydney and Auckland, I am currently interested in drawing, print making, and all aspects of the artist’s book. My lifelong passions have always revolved around books, both making and reading, and natural history. From 1980 until retirement in 2004 (and later on contract)I worked in the Research Library of the Australian Museum and was privileged to work with the Rare Book Collection. My interest in the marine animals depicted in the 16th and 17th century natural history books has led to a series of hand made books I am working on, featuring my re-drawings of these animals. Wamberal, on the beautiful NSW Central Coast, is where I live and work, in easy reach of 7 beaches and lagoons.